Thursday, March 18, 2010

Authentic Purpose Found

I had occasion today to observe someone who has obviously found her purpose in life and is very committed to what she does. Amazing!


I volunteer for a hospice organization in my area. I have one patient I visit weekly, spending about three hours with her on each visit.

When I arrived today I was told that they were trying to reach the nurse assigned to the patient by the hospice organization. There had been a development that needed some attention. Surprising, to me, the nurse didn’t call to discuss the situation, but instead showed up on their doorstep in about 90 minutes!

The nurse examined the patient and then discussed what she saw with the patient and her daughter. Although the nurse undoubtedly had a full schedule when she started her day, she never acted like this visit was a bother or a strain on her time. She, the patient and the patient’s daughter discussed the situation and the course that needed to be followed. The nurse also indicated that she would follow up with the patient’s primary care physician when she left. She went over everything two or three times, each time just as easy and thoroughly as the first. She listened to what they had to say and discussed her conclusions and why and, again, iterated what actions she was going to take concerning the matter. Altogether she spent a little more than half an hour with the patient. The whole time she was there her manner was competent, professional, reassuring, friendly, and congenial. WOW! Authenticity at its best!

This is a person doing what she was meant to do. She is living her life’s purpose and she is doing it authentically, compassionately and purposefully. What an inspiration! If she can do it, so can we all!

No comments:

Post a Comment